Crazy Happy Pretty

DIY experiments

Posted on: August 23, 2010

So I found this blog on a friends Facebook today and thought it was crazy awesome. As soon as I got home from work I had to try it out. However I do not own any sewing supplies besides a small fast-fix box and no sewing machine. This box only has one tiny needle in it. I was determined though and set about trying on, cutting, trying on, cutting. I did do a little hand sewing.

Here is how the dress started, my apologies, the photo is awful.

Before

As you can see (sort of), its long and loose, has funny sleeves and a floppy collar. It has a tie so I can wear it tight enough but it is a weird length and it’s hard to keep the bodice buttons together. The top layer is a thin netted print and underneath it has a satin-ish liner that peeps out at the bottom. I like that part.

I cut a good chunk off the bottom so it would hit above knee. I then cut off the sleeves and the buttons. I cut the liner out of the back top of the dress to make it cooler. I also cut off the collar. I tucked and stitched the shoulders together because they were so big. I dd not have matching thread for this part. I hand stitched the lapels to the inside to form a V-neck and sewed the buttons back on but also the dress together under them. Here is how it turned out.

After

Add a little tank top and it’s ready to go. Massive improvement right? I like to think so! I hope I can borrow a sewing machine and finish the bottom, it needs to be hemmed or I am pretty sure it will unravel. I really want to try this again but with a sewing machine.

What is the last thing you cut up and re-used?

Advertisements

6 Responses to "DIY experiments"

Yay! Did you see this on Amy’s page? So proud of you both. You almost make me think I could do it…almost.

I literally did it with scissors a needle and some thread. Thats all. it was on another friends page but give me a link to Amy’s and I’ll check it out

Nice work! I’ve made a lot of stuff with my sewing machine, but I think the last project I did was taking in a top that I really like, but was too large for me. One little dart in the back and it looks much better now! ^_^

Here’s Amy’s before picture. The afters follow it.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: